Let me start off by saying that I apologize for my poor blogging trend lately. Life took me in 34987 different directions and I've neglected photography and hobbies as a result. As the semester wraps up and I focus on my professional job only, I'll be more consistent with blogging.
Yes...[as you probably already know] I'm ENGAGED! So all my Pinterest wedding pins are now somewhat justified? Believe it or not, I pin wedding pictures for other reasons (photography and decor inspiration).
So you may want to know the story; it involves 4 letters, 3 meaningful places and friends. It started the morning of Saturday, April 20. I returned from my run and got ready to attend Charlottesville's Dogwood Festival Parade to take pictures. Aspen and Michael were supposed to go with me but he felt "sick." This was believable because he had been complaining for a few days about not feeling well. Anyways, that didn't stop Aspen and me. We were watching the parade on East High Street and about 20 minutes into the parade, my best friend, Elysha, approached us. This was slightly surprising because she was supposed to be en route to Georgia to visit a law school. After a few minutes of chatting, she handed me a pink envelope with "#1" written on the front. At this point, I knew what was happening but had previously not thought he was going to propose that day. The letter read the following:
"Samantha, Today is all about you!! I know you have a busy schedule, but I promise it will be worth it in the end. Elysha is your guide/photographer. She will make sure you end up in the right place!! Let's get started... One of my favorite things about you is how you open me up to new things... including food! Head to the Corner to a certain Mediterranean restaurant and enjoy lunch at one of your favorite spots!! Your next clue will be waiting for you there! Love, Michael"
Side note... I love letters. We rarely do letters but they are really meaningful to me. In a nerdy way, letters remind me of how my grandpa and grandma, high school sweethearts, wrote each other during World War II. So the fact that Michael incorporated several meaningful letters throughout the day was special to me.
If you couldn't guess, we went to Basil, a Mediterranean restaurant on the UVA Corner (on 14th street). This is my favorite place to go because I love their HUGE, healthy salads. Elysha and I returned to my apartment, got ready, and left Aspen (sadly). When we walked up to Basil, one of my other good friends, Kathryn was sitting at a table outside. She was another surprise as she lives in Virginia Beach.
Picture above: Elysha, me, and Kathryn sitting outside of Basil after we finished lunch.
After we ate lunch, Kathryn gave me another pink envelope with "#2" on the front. It read the following:
"I hope you all had a great lunch! On to the next spot... I love how you have been my guide around Charlottesville, show me how great of a place this is to live. There are many scenic spots where you can just lose yourself in the surroundings. Head out to Crozet to a certain family's vineyard where my favorite picture of us was taken (hint, it may be a profile picture of mine!). Love, Michael"
His letter was referring to King Family Vineyards in Crozet, VA. We took the scenic route on 250 east (rather than 64 west). After we arrived, we walked around to "take pictures" before ordering wine.
Really, Kathryn and Elysha were delaying time until my two surprise guests arrived: my Curry friends Carolyn and Theresa. We met them outside on our way back to the tasting room. After two bottles of wine, enjoying the scenic views and good conversation, I received a third envelope with "#3" written on the front.
The third letter read:
"You're almost there!! Before this journey ends, head back to where our journey began almost three and a half years ago at the base of Mr. Jefferson's mountain. I hope you brought your hiking shoes! Love, Michael"
Our first date was walking the Monticello-Saunders trail. The main parking lot was full so we had to turnaround and park at the lower parking lot. Sharif, Michael's good friend who was waiting for us at the beginning of the main path, didn't realize the lower parking lot had several paths to meet with the main path. So we thought "ok, what now?!"
But then Sharif walked out of nowhere (literally from the woods)...
He gave me a bouquet of roses and a fourth envelope with "#4" written on it. (Sorry for the bright pictures... no avoiding it).
The letter read:
"Well you've made it to the final leg!! It seems like yesterday that you and I walked up this trail together for the first time. I remember thinking to myself how beautiful you are and tried hard not to make a fool of myself! Now head on up the trail, but not too far. Someone special prevents us from going to the very top. Instead veer off to where our little girl might take a swim! Love, Michael"
Sharif's girlfriend, Natalie, joined us and we all walked to the lake (roughly ~1/2 mile)...
... where I saw Michael and Aspen walking.
He let go of her because she had the last letter secured by a bandana around her neck.
She was so excited that there were SO. MANY. PEOPLE. that she lost the letter. Michael picked it up (in the background of the picture above) to read it to me as everyone watched.
The last letter read:
"Samantha, For the past three and a half years, you have made me the happiest man in the world. You truly bring out the best in me. You are my best friend and the love of my life. Though this is the end of your day long journey, hopefully it is the start of our life long adventure together. Will you marry me?!?"
Of course, I said YES! We proceeded to do a food crawl with everyone at Bang! and Guad. Thank you everyone for such a meaningful day and to Michael, for such a thoughtful proposal. I'm excited about our future and happy to be his future Mrs.! A few pictures of the actual proposal and our family:
The World of SB // Learn more on the right-hand side of this page in the "About Me" section.
The 411 // Follow me on Facebook!































yay! great pictures and a lovely story. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks lady!
Delete