Friday, August 23, 2013

Carter Mountain Orchard


As a local, the beauty of Charlottesville never ceases to inspire and amaze me.  I could not think of having my wedding any place but here (Michael feels the same!).  It is not only where we first met, but it is also where I grew up.  I am slowly working on a personal project for my small wedding.  It involves featuring many of the places Michael and I enjoy and wish to share with the few immediate family members who are coming into town.  I will hopefully share its completed version next year but until then, please enjoy the local features and suggested places to visit when in Charlottesville. 

Carter Mountain Orchard will forever remind me of my childhood.  With my high school a few miles away, stopping at the orchard for warm apple donuts and hot cider always seemed like a genius idea.  And it was.  The donuts and cider still taste the same and are the best in town.  Their store jams are also to die for; I highly recommend the berry blend called "BEAR Jam".  This is a wonderful, inexpensive place to visit.  From wine tasting to hayrides, it has something to please the whole family.  Don't miss out on the Thursday Night Sunset series, which is a weekly event involving local music, good food from the grill and of course, watching the sunset as it dips behind the Blue Ridge.  As you sip on wine from the wine shop, your kids can play or take pictures with the giant wooden apple (shown below).  Don't forget to walk the entire orchard as there are even better views from the highest point. 

If it's your first time in Charlottesville, I suggest combining this with a trip to Monticello, Michie Tavern, or Ash Lawn Highland (all nearby).  There are also many local vineyards nearby and the Downtown Mall and the University are within a ten minute drive.  Find out more information on their website.






























The World of SB // Learn more on the right-hand side of this page in the "About Me" section.
The 411 // Follow me on Facebook and Pin with me or e-mail me at samanthabrookephoto@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment